About Me

My photo
I teach Kindergarten at a non-profit for at-risk and low-income kids. It can be the worst job and the best job, sometimes at the same time. It is also All-day (7am-6pm) and year round. No summer vacay for me. I love crafting but rarely have the time due to the demands of graduate school, a full time job and the rest of life.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Blog Hoppin'











Tell us a little something about you...

I am a Kindergarten Teacher, a grad student, a daughter, a sister, a godmother and more!

I am in a graduate program for Special Education and Teaching English Language Learners. I went straight through summers and breaks from 9/09 to 5/11. I had to take the summer off to deal with a medical mystery that ended in surgery and am scheduled to go back in Sept. I don't want to. I forgot what free time was and now I don't want to give it up!!! 1 more year, I can do it!!!

Randomness:
*I love crafting, which I forgot during grad school.
*I live with my parents (see more under "You might not know"
*I have two black cats who drive me bonkers and I am allergic to (I knew that when I got them)
*I am allergic to EVERYTHING it seems like. It actually makes my students more aware of other's allergies and to look out for others.
*I am no good at blogging! I am working on it.
*I am the oldest of 4 kids



How long have you been teaching?

I have been teaching for a paycheck for over 6 years and at the same school for about five years (9/27/11, 5 year anniversary). My first year I taught preschool at a private daycare then took a position as a lead preschool teacher in a classroom with two other teachers at a non-profit agency for at-risk and low-income families. After 9 months there (we are year round) the kindergarten teacher retired, much to my excitement. I always wanted to teach kindergarten!!!!
I have been the lead kindergarten teacher for 4 years and have worked with another teacher for 4.5 years. Together we have gone through over 100 students and three other teachers (oops).



You might not know...


*I had my gallbladder out last month!
*I was engaged but ended a 5-year relationship when he decided he didn't want children. I had to move back in with my parents to manage finances and grad school.
*I have two blogs! Where's My Soda?
*This is my first time linking


What are you looking most forward to this school year?


A fresh start, 20 new students, 3 old (I have pre-kinders if I have open slots) and a new co-teacher. Also, my teacher partner of 4.5 years is having a baby in October!


What do you need to improve?


I want to work on making circle/calendar time more beneficial to the students.
I want to manage my time and commitments better.


What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

hmmm, notebooks and pencils, dry erase boards

No comments:

Post a Comment