About Me

My photo
I teach Kindergarten at a non-profit for at-risk and low-income kids. It can be the worst job and the best job, sometimes at the same time. It is also All-day (7am-6pm) and year round. No summer vacay for me. I love crafting but rarely have the time due to the demands of graduate school, a full time job and the rest of life.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

I went to Egypt!!!!


I know that product with Arabic on them do not really narrow down the location because there are many different countries that use Arabic, but I couldn't very well show you pictures of the pyramids now could I?

My team and I ended up incoroporating Egypt into our curriculum a little bit before I left and while I was gone.  When I came back, it occupied almost a month of our curriculum, the children were enthralled!

I tried to remember to get pictures of things so that you can see what I am talking about.

Before I left, I put out all my books about Egypt and got some from the library, I really liked the following books:
You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy (see it online)
You Wouldn't Want Be Cleopatra 
You Wouldn't Want Be Tutankhamen 
Fast Forward: Egyptian Mummy (see it online)
Fast Forward: Pyramid 
Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble 
Ms. Frizzle's Adventures in Ancient Egypt 
Magic Tree House #3: Mummies in the Morning  (fiction) and Magic Tree House Research Guide #3: Mummies & Pyramids (non fiction)
We're Sailing Down the Nile


Also before I left, we made an Egyptian Bulletin Board.  There was a 3D map of Egypt, the title "Amy is Going to Egypt" in English, Arabic* and Hieroglyphics, a clock with the Egyptian time, images of Egyptian money and a copy of my itinerary.  As each day of my trip went by, my team read the page in "We're Sailing Down the Nile" that corresponded to my current location and marked it on the map.

I cannot wait to share more of this theme unit with you!



MA DOE Standards incorporated:

English Language Arts
           Vocabulary and Concept Development 
                    
                   K.L.4.2: Students will describe common objects and events in general and specific language.
          
           Understanding Texts 
                    
                    K.R.8.3: Students will ask questions about the important characters, settings, and events.

                    K.R 8.5: Students will retell important facts from a text heard or read.Genre
                    K.R.10.1: By the end of grade 2, students will identify differences among the common forms of literature: poetry, prose, fiction, nonfiction (informational and expository), and dramatic literature

Science and Technology/Engineering 
          Skills of Inquiry 
                    1.   By the end of grade 2, students will be able to ask questions about objects, organisms, and  events in the environment. 

History and Social Sciences 
           History and Geography 
                    K.2: Use correctly words and phrases related to chronology and time  
                    K.5: Tell or show what a map is and what a globe is.



 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment