About Me

My photo
I teach Kindergarten at a non-profit for at-risk and low-income kids. It can be the worst job and the best job, sometimes at the same time. It is also All-day (7am-6pm) and year round. No summer vacay for me. I love crafting but rarely have the time due to the demands of graduate school, a full time job and the rest of life.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All About ME

Me, Me, Me... It's all about me... not in a classroom of 23 five- and six-year-olds.

I teach Kindergarten at a non profit agency that focuses on at-risk and low-income families.  I love what I do but it is not your traditional Kindergarten.  More on that later!

I am 28 and 1 week old at this moment and am seriously a little confused about how my personal life got to where it is now, but that is not what I want you to know...

Here are some things I do want you to know

*I am the oldest of 4 children
*My family is lower-middle class but growing up I did not notice
*I have a BS in Early Childhood Education and Child Psychology
*I am working on a Masters in Special Education and English Language Learners
*I care deeply about what I do in my classroom and for my children
*I have different colored hair... every few month I change the colors and placement of the different pieces... currently I have pink and purple highlights front and center
When I tell people I teach Kindergarten they ALWAYS SAY "With purple hair???"
*I am a perfectionist in my classroom
*I can be tough to work with.  My center is set up to have three teachers in each classroom (awesome, I know!) in a hierarchy and I have a reputation for being.... tough
*In my classroom I am the top of the hierarchy and I have high expectations for those who work in my classroom, not unreasonable, not unfounded, just high.  Do it right or don't do it.
*I refer to "My Kids"... I am single and have no children, My Kids are the 23 that I work with 40+ hours a week
*I try to make learning fun, engaging and meaningful while teaching them what they need to know to be successful after leaving me
*I am approaching my 5-year anniversary at this center

No comments:

Post a Comment